(Travelogue continued from January Archives)

Thursday, February 2, 2006 1:45 AM (EST)

I personally want to thank Mike Nomad for his great review of the Hawkins and Friends concert in Stratford. It's a great review. I especially appreciate the historical background he shared about the performers... wonderful! Mike, please consider sending a note backstage when you attend one of our shows, so we can meet you and say hello after the show!

I also want to make it clear that when I addressed the "Dear Reviewer" in the January 30th entry, I was referring to Mr. Donal O'Connor, who wrote a nice review of the show in the Stratford Beacon Herald.

It is easy to understand how Mr. O'Connor didn't catch Ronnie's "side slide" activity. The stage was too crowded in places. Ronnie did that dance behind the first row of musicians, which was the only space there was to do any dancing really. And I wanted everyone to know that Ronnie didn't just sit there at all. I don't think it's possible for him to hold too still, you know? He is always rockin'. Even if he did try to just sit, he would still cause an earthquake of energy with his presence. That's simply the way it is. It's one of the phenomenons of the life force of Mr. Ronnie Hawkins.

Sunday, February 5, 2006 6:24 AM (EST)

It was quite a recording concert/party in Toronto with the Sadies at Lee's Palace on Friday and Saturday. I was amazed at how organized it was... everyone keeping the schedule in line until after the encores started... which continued the show for a half-hour to an hour longer both nights.

The Sadies are: Dallas and Travis Good (both on guitars), Sean Dean (bass), and Mike Belitsky (drums).

It was great seeing Neko Case again... and to listen to her sing in person. Garth accompanied her on accordion for "Evangeline" as did Paul Rigby and the Sadies. Garth played on several songs with the Sadies including a few with the Good Brothers... a wonderful family showing.

I enjoyed singing along on a song written only two days earlier by Dallas Good of the Sadies. It was a gospel song and was the official finale... though as previously mentioned the encores went on for a while from there. The audience was very enthusiastic.

Weirdness Alert: I experienced a trampling in the hallway backstage on the second night. A guy showed up out of nowhere and in his hurry, decided to trample right over me and my wheelchair. He went right through me with no expression on his face. Without breaking his pace and exited through the curtains to the front of the house and disappeared in a flash. I never saw him again. Weird!!! It didn't dawn on me that there is a punk faction in the audience. Don't know how he got backstage. I didn't want to spoil the party so let it be. I ache still, but I'm okay. Considering the blank expression on his face, he must have been on something like PCP. I had hoped people didn't mess with that anymore. Hope he got home safe because he was a bit oblivious to his surroundings. Of course afterward, I wish I had clobbered him, but it's over now.

Back to the show... I met a few awfully nice people, who I look forward to seeing again such as the Welshman, Jon Langford of the Mekons and Waco Brothers, who got the audience excited as he sang up a storm. Matt Verta-Ray was impressive playing great guitar. The mucho machismo moment of both nights were when Matt and his bandmate Jon Spencer lined up on stage with Travis and Dallas Good. The four guitars were played hard... a wall of guitars doing dips and shouts. It was the highest energy moment of both nights in my opinion. They were locked in with each other. Sorry I don't recall the name of the song.

Mary Margaret O'Hara stopped by Lee's Palace Saturday night to say hello to everyone. I was thrilled to see her. We sang together with Gavin Friday, Maurice Seezer and Eric Mingus a few years ago in L.A. at the Harry Smith Tribute/Symposium produced by Hal Willner. Once you meet Mary Margaret, you miss her until you see her again. She is so delightful and has a pure soul. Hope to see her again soon.

Steve Albini of Electric Audio in Chicago (produced Nirvana, PJ Harvey, Bush, Pixies, etc.) recorded both nights on analog two-inch tape for a live album to be released later this year through Yep Roc and Outside Music.

Monday, February 6, 2006 6:15 PM (EST)

Still in Toronto. Had a day of rest and catching up today.

Garth and I had a great time, though were sad to say farewell for now to Paul Rigby, who was flying with Neko only a few hours after the Sadies' show on Saturday for an overseas tour as a trio to help promote the release of her newest album The Fox Confessor Brings The Flood. Hope they handle the jetlag okay after having no sleep. Glad he was able to join us for Ronnie's concert the previous weekend in Stratford. He might come visit us end of April for a few performances. I'll let you know on the CALENDAR page as concerts are developed.

Tuesday, February 7, 2006 7:48 AM (EST)

Garth and I are driving home from Toronto today... in the snow. I like driving in it more than the rain and it keeps the 7 hours invigorating rather than longer and longer as it is when sunshiny.

I'm glad we lingered in Toronto to perform with the Sadies. It was nice making new friends and seeing old friends and relatives over these past two weeks. We are returning with full hearts and inspiration.

Here are two short incomplete reviews (there were more previews than reviews):



Google the Sadies to find the previews that have more background on the group, their history, the event, and their plans:


Thursday, February 9, 2006 4:23 AM (EST)

Here is my last trip whisp for this first installment of a travelogue blog. It is unimaginable how anyone can actually do this live unless it's dictated so another's fingers do the typing. I begin what I want to say at a particular moment that will allow my hands to type, then finish up at a future time when I capture another bit of time to allow it.

We drove through the night in a snowstorm. Much more exciting than the storm that stayed away for our drive up to Canada. We stopped often because of sleepiness. After stopping at the market for quick supplies and driving through a car wash to get rid of the road salt that encrusted us, we at last reached home on Wednesday before noon.

We returned home to find it still exists, now with a fallen tree in the yard from a storm. The ground was dug up here and there from an unknown creature. Haven't checked to see if the small dirt mounds are from a burrowiing critter such a vole or mole with accompanying holes, or if the mounds were simply created by a deer who was scratching and digging for tidbits of acorns and pinecones. The best thing I look foreward to whenever Garth and I return home from a trip is seeing our two sweet welcoming black kitty cats (kisses, hugs, cuddling and purrs).

Yes, there are priceless treasures in life and we feel extra blessed by this visit to Canada... a Shakspearean stage with Ronnie Hawkins, a two-day recorded Sadie's party, new friends, old friends, family, a little business, and music, music, music!... and doing it together has gotten me into the spirit of Valentine's Day.

[Close Window]